Are you like me when i was young my mum forced me to drink the whitish thick codliver oil which didn’t smell and taste pleasant now known as Omega? Omega-3 and Omega-6 as popularly known are healthy fats which have remarkable benefits that we will look at shortly. There many types of Omega in the market which is genuine and harmful, will reveal that to you.
Benefits of Omega-3
Some important Omega-3 fatty acids benefits are as follows:-
- Will dramatically help you shed fat
- Reduce inflammation
- Prevent plaque build in blood vessels
- Decrease blood pressure
- Improve brain function
- Stabilize blood sugar
- Boost immune system
- Fight Cancer
- Helps in pregnancy for proper brain development of the foetus
Therefore Omega-3 are very essential and remember our bodies cannot manufacture them, so we need to acquire them from the foods we eat.
Omega-3 fats are found in several carbohydrates including:-
- Soy beans
- Leafy green vegetables
- Flax seeds
Proteins i.e. Cold-water fish such as salmon, tuna and tilapia
Another essential oil is Omega-6 fats which is found in vegetable oils such as corn, sunflower oils however, consuming too much of this fat is not a good thing. The ratio of omega-6 and omega3 should be two to one( 2:1) yet unknown to many who consume twenty times more omega-6 than omega-3. A number one contributor of weight gain is the imbalance of the two.
Factors Hindering Absorption of Omega-3 and Omega-6
There are several factors that hinder proper absorption of omega-3 and omega-6 which include:-
- Hydrogenerated oils
- Nutrient deficiencies
- Viral infections
Most of our diet today is sadly deficient in omega-3 and unrefined, unprocessed form of omega-6 fats.
Ways to Reap Benefits from Omega-3 & 6
- Eat unrefined carbohydrates like leafy green vegetables, soy beans, unrefined cold-pressed vegetables oils and cold water fish like salmon, tuna and tilapia, all which are rich sources of unrefined omega-6 and omega-3 fats
- Eat more foods with healthy fats such as avocados, unprocessed nuts and seeds, olive oil and cold water fish
- Read food labels and eliminate all sources of hydrogenerated oils which contain harmful trans fats. Products such as margarine, salad dressings and commercial baked goods, chips and other snack foods fall into this category
- Buy nutritional supplement that contain both omega 3 & 6 (contact us for more information)
In conclusion inorder to lose weight and prevent longterm illnesses like heart disease and cancer, eat fewer foods that are high in saturated fats, less meat and hydrogenerated fats such as cookies, pies, donuts and other baked foods. With vast information that helps you in the long run to curb the above illness therefore you have no reason not to incorporate in your diet Omega-3.